If you are not an EU citizen, for studies in Switzerland, with rare exceptions, you will need a student visa. You can find out exactly whether you need a visa at the Swiss Embassy or the Swiss Federal Migration Office.
In addition, you should apply for a visa as early as possible, because the process of applying for a visa takes 6-12 weeks, and sometimes even longer. That is why it is important to arrange everything in advance so as not to deal with visa issues a few days before leaving for study!

For students from the EU

Students from EU countries do not need a student visa to study in Switzerland. In addition, citizens of countries such as Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand and Singapore do not need a visa.

For students from outside the EU

If you are not a citizen of one of the EU countries, you will most likely need a visa to get a higher education in Switzerland.
In Switzerland, two types of student visas are available to students. For studies on short-term courses, a Schengen visa is suitable for which you can stay in the country for up to 3 months. For long-term courses such as undergraduate and graduate programs, you will need a National D visa.

Schengen visa

A Schengen visa allows you to stay in Switzerland for up to three months, so it is suitable for studying at short-term courses, but is not suitable for studying at graduate programs. Unfortunately, it is also impossible to extend the validity of this type of visa. If upon its expiration you want to stay in Switzerland, you will have to return to your country and apply for a new visa from there.

National visa

The national visa is intended for students planning to stay in Switzerland for more than 90 days. It is for this visa that you need to apply for studies at a Swiss university on a degree program, whether in undergraduate or graduate programs. To obtain this type of visa, you must have a certificate of admission to the university. In addition, you will have to arrange a visit to the Swiss Embassy in your country, where they will tell you about all the documents that need to be submitted.

List of documents for visa application

Here is the standard list of documents that will be required to obtain a student visa to Switzerland:
- Valid passport
- Two passport photos
- Proof of sufficient funds to stay in Switzerland for the entire planned period (from the calculation - at least $ 30 per day)
- Medical insurance
- Summary
- Certificate of admission to the Swiss University
- Copies of certificates and diplomas received earlier in other educational institutions
- A motivation letter explaining why you want to study in Switzerland and how it will affect your future career.
After arriving in Switzerland, you will be required to register at the Migration Office of your canton within two weeks. Since deadlines are limited, be sure to do it on time! Registration gives a residence permit that allows you to officially stay in Switzerland for a period of more than 3 months. Despite the fact that citizens of Japan, Malaysia, Singapore and New Zealand do not need a student visa to Switzerland, they also need to obtain a residence permit in the country.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.